Can a viral infection cause itchy rashes?

I had a terrible cough, sore throat, and runny nose with a high fever for about 5 days. I was even coughing up yellow phlegm and when I blew/blow my nose it yellow or bloody.woke up Monday morning feeling great but noticed a faint rash on the tops of my hands, elbows, ankles, and knees. and it itches terribly! What on earth could it be?
Fri, 29 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Considering the symptoms, in my opinion you have been going through a bacterial infection which started as an upper respiratory infection and progressed in acute bronchitis(probably from streptococus). This infection usually mimics a viral syndrome and it's difficult to diagnose only by the history.

The rash may be related to strep infection but it also occurs in viral infections, they are both commonly followed by body rash.

You can consult your doctor for a physical examination of the rash and he will probably order a rapid antigen test or a throat culture which uses a swab sample from your throat to detect potential streptococus.
It's important to make the right diagnosis, because if you have strep bacteria, you need antibiotics treatment.

Menawhile if you still have cough, you can use guaifenesin to thin your mucus.
You can also use ibuprofen 400 mg if you have any headache.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further