Can a protrusion in the rectum be a symptom of a hemorrhoid?

hi my husband had back surgery 2 wks ago today and he has been struggling with his bowels finally becoming active in the past few days with stool softenners but today he has been bleeding from the rectum after all the attempts to void some much more difficult than others. I went and picked up some witchhazel wipes and prep H but have not used the prep H yet due to the warning on the label to avoid its use with bleeding present so I looked at his rectum and there is a fairly large dark protrusion on one side that is very dark in color , I'm not sure if it is a hemorrhoid or a piece stool with old blood in it and now not sure if I should leave it alone or try to push it back inside to relieve his discomfort
Tue, 19 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

* As per my clinical experience, the protrusion in rectum with pink color narrates hemorrhoid.
* Sitz bath (sitting in a tub filled with lukewarm water added epsom salt) helps a lot till he meets his doc.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.