Can a person get addicted to suboxone ?

detoxification from opitates, using suboxone. Can a person become addicted to the suboxone?
Mon, 23 Jan 2012
Drug/Medication ,   ,   ,   ,  
Dear Robert, Welcome to HealthcareMagic!

The medication suboxone contains a combination of buprenorphine and naloxone. Buprenorphine IS an opioid medication, similar to other opioids such as morphine, codeine, and heroin. However, it produces less euphoric ("high") effects and therefore may be easier to stop taking. The other medicine naloxone blocks the effects of opioids such as morphine, codeine, and heroin. So its a very good combination for de-addiction. Suboxone may cause drug dependence, which means only that withdrawal symptoms may occur if you stop using this medication too quickly. Withdrawal symptoms may also occur at the start of treatment due to dependence on another drug. Therefore suboxone is not for occasional ("as needed") use. You must take it as advised by your doctor & stictly by prescription ONLY. Do not stop taking Suboxone without first talking to your doctor. This medicine's dose may need to be reduced gradually to avoid or minimize withdrawal symptoms, if any. Wishing you best of health.

Dr NAVEEN KANSAL, MBBS, MD [PGI, Chd]
Skin Clinic, SCO 298, Sect. 20, Panchkula.
kansalnaveen@gmail.com