Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online

Can a fetal heartbeat be irregular in a typical pregnancy?

Can a fetal heartbeat be irregular (drop to 70 and then back to normal range or even start and restart) in a typical pregnancy? I recall reading something online to that effect, that their heart can stop and restart or change pace as a part of the wiring adapting. How long in pregnancy can this occur, normally? (If it is normal)
Asked On : Mon, 4 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  63
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
OBGYN 's  Response
May 2013
Thanks for the query.
Fetal heart beat can range from 110 to 160 bpm, depending on the gestational age.
But stopping the heart and restarting is not true.
When the fetus sleeps the heart beat can decrease to some extent and during activity it can increase, means some amount of accelerations and decelerations are common.
But these will always remain in normal range in a healthy fetus.
Take care.

Answered: Thu, 7 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor