Can a diabetic have cheese ?

If you have diabetes and want to go to subway, can you have the provolone or american cheese on your sub? Thanks guys and gals. Very very helpful. Hopefully wheat breads are ok? I dont eat bread everyday, once a week maybe.
Fri, 11 Dec 2009
  Anonymous's Response
's  Response

Hi... Diabetes when associated with other risk factors can result in heart attacks, stroke and kidney problems... Hence the diet you take must also prevent the other risk factors too.. Hypertension and high cholesterol being the major two risk factors.  Cheese are high in fatty acids and high source of bad cholesterol. Hence it will be better to avoid it in your diet... Though cheese does not hamper the blood sugars it can contribute to the complication that is associated with diabetes... Hence avoid it..