Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Can a deaf and dumb person be cured?

My friend is deaf and dumb, but not by birth . He became deaf / dumb after a fix (i dont know to spell that). Can we cure him?
Asked On : Wed, 5 Jan 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  1458
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response
You may get his complete hearing assessment done. If his hearing loss is recent, and if a trial with hearing aids is unsuccessful, he may be a candidate for a cochlear implant. Can you explain the circumstances or factors leading to his deaf and dumb status in detail?
Answered: Tue, 11 Jan 2011
  User's Response
Thanks Dr.Sumit Bhatti for your valuable time to answer my question.

My friend is 35 years old now and he become deaf at the age of three. He had a fix during that time and his parents took him to a doctor. That doctor gave up an injection which stopped the fix but the next morning he was not responding as usual. Then his parents tried in 2/3 hospitals. One of the hospital in chennai, they told that there was an excess fat (muscule) in the throat and they remove it. It was not successful. Then they tried another doctor and that doctor cheated them after getting a lumpsum of money. Sorry to mention that.

Please note that one of the doctor who was testing the throat a decade ago, told that my friend has a small tongue (we call it as ul naaku in tamil language, may be it is epiglottis ) inside the tongue. Usually that will not be available for the deaf people.

Please suggest a hospital for the hearing assesment in Chennai.
Answered: Tue, 11 Jan 2011
ENT Specialist Dr. Sumit Bhatti's  Response
It seems that your friend suffered from fits, which may have been due to epilepsy. Fits due to high fever are also common on childhood. They are known as Simple Febrile Convulsions. Does he still suffer from fits? Is he on medication for fits?

It is unclear what treatment and findings you have been told about over the years. One of the premier ENT institutes of India is in Chennai:

For a definitive diagnosis please contact 'Padma Shree' Prof. Mohan Kameswaran at

Madras ENT Research Foundation (P) Ltd.,

No-1, I Cross Street, Off. II Main Road,

Raja Annamalaipuram,

Chennai – 600 028.     

Answered: Wed, 12 Jan 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor