Can a combination of L-carnitine, Novaldex, & vitamin C be taken for long?

Hello doctor. My husband in September 2010 had varicocele surgery performed. His urologist, who also did the surgery recommended that he should take 3g of L-carnitine a day, as well as 20 mg of Nolvadex a day for 6 months in order for his sperm count & sperm mobility to increase. His doctor suggested this after seeing his test results in December 2010 (3 months after the surgery was performed). After taking these for about 3 months looks like sperm count has increased but sperm mobility is still the same- not moving, or headless. In 2007 I got pregnant but had a miscarriage after 3 weeks ( this shows that we are able to have kids sometime in the past). Recently we were told that Vitamin C will help with sperm mobility (he s a medium smoker & he s 34, alittle over weight for his height- 161 cm). 20 days ago we decided that he should also start taking vitamin C. The 1st 10 days he took 1000mg per day & he has now increased it to 1,500mg per day. Basically- I m wondering if taking 3g of L-carnitine, 20mg Novaldex, & 1,500mg of vitamin C all in 1 day & for about 6 months too much. Also, I m assuming vitamin C shouldn t be taken long term ( for example 2 months is ok at 1.500mg a day). Thank you & hope u can help!
Wed, 4 Aug 2021

The usual dose of L-carnitine is 1-3 Gm/day. Therefore, this is the upper limit of usual dose. Still, you can take it safely for 6 months. The dosage of Novaldex of 20 mg/day is an usual dose and it may be safely taken for a long period, even up to 5 years. About vitamin C, there is no consensus about its dosage.

Recommendation for usual dosage may be from 200 mg to 2 Gm/day. Though, even higher dosage of vitamin C up to 5 Gm/day have no toxic effect. In the nut shell, in my opinion, you are taking all the 3 drugs in safe quantity. Still, dosage and duration of these drugs should be strictly under guidance of your doctor. Also, you can take all the 3 drugs simultaneously, as these have no known interaction between them.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Satnarain Bansal, General & Family Physician