Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Can a bag or catheter be fixed for diverticulitis ?

Been to hospital today after months of investigations.. Surgeon now says I have deseased diverticulitis . Bleeding per vagina also faeces passing 6 days was told because of high blood pressure diabetic type 2. age 71 also hernia because of old operations not really wanting to do any operation.. Question 1. If I do not get operation what is worst case.Question 2. How can he fix bag any other way. or what could be done with catherter? worried.....
Asked On : Tue, 23 Nov 2010
Answers:  1 Views:  64
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Welcome to Healthcaremagic
As I can see, you are a diabetic and hypertensive and suffering from bleed and fecal matter passing through vagina. In your age the commonest cause of this is diverticulosis in which one of the infected diverticulum (outpouching of rectal wall) got opened in the bladder and you have a connection between bladder and rectum. The only remedy unfortunately is surgery in which we do an open surgery in pelvis by opening the lower abdomen and separate the two and break all possible connections between bladder and rectum which is not an easy procedure. Here a part of rectum and bladder wall will be resected and some intraabdominal fat will be put indetween so that they do not stick together again. You will have to be on a temporary ileostomy (small instine is opened on the skin at one place in right lower abdomen and a bag is applied to collect the fecal matter till your rectum healed and thereafter another small surgery closes this) and a catheter in the bladder till the healing. Another issue is that the chance of recurrance is very high in the comming years. If surgery is not done you are likely to have recurrent vaginal and urinary infection which may lead you to a sepsis and quality of life may be miserable. You are already a diabetic. Both options- surgery or without- are difficult and have to be carefully discussed by the family and your treating doctor.
Take care
Answered: Fri, 26 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor