Can Tramadol be taken more than three times a day for severe joint pain?

I have Ben taking tramodal for quit sometime. It was prescribed by G P. My problems are changing and I am developing problems with joint pane that wakes me up during the night. The pain is bad enough that I cannot go back to sleep. Can I take a tablet for this. I am now taking 2 and sometimes 3 a day. Can I take another when needed during the night? P
Mon, 25 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

The use of opiods or any analgesic should be minimum as required however if needed it can be taken, Tramadol can be used upto 6 times a day if needed (maximum). I mean you can use it again after every 4 hours if needed however this is reserved fro pain if not controlled by simple analgesia. and the maximum dose in a single day should not exceed 4 hundred messages. So yes you can use it after 4 hours of the last dose , but should be used only if clearly needed. I would suggest you should try Paracetamol regularly if that may help your pain , also you should take care of the primary disease that is giving you pain.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.