Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Can Rheumatoid arthritis be the reason for heaviness in chest ?

Thank you. My boyfriend says he feels like someone is standing on his chest . Yes, he smokes. He is 57, and has Rheumatoid arthritis all over his body. He is 5 8 and weighs about 145 lbs. He has only one kidney .
Asked On : Tue, 24 May 2011
Answers:  4 Views:  248
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
  User's Response
One kidney is not a cause for it. It might be stiffening of chest muscles and may also some times because of hyper acidity. Rheumatoid Arthritis may also affect heart, in such case the symptoms as you said may appear. Better under go the following investigations. R.A.Faactor, CRP, ASO Titre, ECG, Echo cardiogram, Lipid Profile, RBS. So that you will have a clear picture behind your problem.
Dr. Surya Prakash Tadepalli
Answered: Mon, 30 May 2011
  Anonymous's Response
Investigate cardiac health first, since he is a smoker .
A lipid profile(blood test, which indicates the cholesterol and triglyceride values) and a stress ECG will be helpful, and later even an angiography, invasive or non invasive(CT angiography may be required.
The muscle stifness needs to be investigated if any..which may be giving this sensation, but the cardio seems to be the likely cause...Move, get investigated..
Answered: Tue, 24 May 2011
  User's Response
Rx, 1) Cal. fluor.200/8D/OD- in morning.
2) Cal.carb.200/8D/OD- at night.
3) Cal.Phos. 6x-8 tabs daily.
Answered: Mon, 30 May 2011
General & Family Physician Dr. Vaishali Hebbar's  Response
HI welcome to health care magic........
Muscle stiffness is a predominant finding in a patient with rheumatoid arthritis.
So muscles in the chest if stiff will give him a feeling of chest thightness , that explains his feeling.
Its usually more predominant after rest , like after a nap in the earlymorning.
Consult a rheumatologist and get his Rheumatoid arthritis treated and also get a ECG done to rule out any cardiac problems if any.
Breathing exercises may help him...
Answered: Tue, 24 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor