Can Prednisone be weaned off by reducing the dosage every few days?

I am taking prednisone to alleviate scar tissue on lower lungs. I also have COPD, PAD, heart disease and Stage 4 Kidney Disease. Per my Dr., the protocol has been as follows: 40mg perday until symptoms improve (which was 20 days), then decrease to 30 mg per day for 3 days, and then 20 mg per day for 3 days, and then 10 mg per day until back to normal. Then stop. what is your opinion of this protocol?
Wed, 20 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

*The most common reason for scar tissue over the lungs is residual effect following control of the basic infection.
*Ideally speaking there is no medications for such scar tissue, the whatever medicines are being used will help to clear infection, bronchi spasm or other problems.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.