• question-icon

Can Lipitor help to treat carotid artery disease?

Can Lipitor reduce soft plaque ... I have had blurry vision and doctor metioned I could be prone to Cholestrol - testing tomorrow - but want to know if Lipitor can correct Carotid diseas or such or is normally too late by the time you get eye symptoms?

Mon, 31 Aug 2015
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hello. Thank you for your question and welcome to HCM. I understand your concern.

I am assuming that since with your doctor you have determined that the symptoms are coming from a narrowing within a carotid artery, then the diagnosis of carotid artery disease is established. Atorvastatin (Lipitor) helps in lowering the blood cholesterol levels, inhibiting the atherosclerotic plaque from further narrowing the artery and in stabilizing the plaque. Only a few, small studies have supported the fact that statins could also help in regressing the plaque. If it has come down to the moment that there are symptoms from blockages in the carotid arteries, and these blockages seen with echo Doppler of these arteries are significant, then further treatment is the reasonable approach at this moment. Depending on the specifics, the alternatives are stenting the artery by a invasive cardiologist/radiologist, or surgical intervention by a vascular surgeon.

I hope I was helpful. Take care.

Best regards,
Dr. Meriton