Can IUD cause adult acne?

My 32 yr old daughter got a copper IUD, she now has adult acne (they're calling it), that does not clear up no matter what she does, she has always been sensitive to all jewelry. Antibiotic after antibiotic, I think it's sensitivity to the copper, she's also experienced high levels of anxiety, would you recommend the IUD be removed? She has requested this but they keep delaying the procedure and medicating her.
Fri, 23 Jan 2015
Welcome to HealthcareMagic,
IUD is a good contraception option but it does have some side effects. Acne is a known side effect of IUD. Around 5% to 10% of the IUD users may develop acne as a side effect. It is preferable to change to other contraceptives such as use of condoms and watch if the acne problem gets reduced. Once you switch to another contraceptive, your acne problem should get rectified. Hope that answers your question.
Regards, Dr.Imaad.