Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Can I undergo a spinal fusion surgery at the age of 75 ?

I am 75, female, in good health, I have some scoliosis , and degeneration of the discs and a breakdown of the spine at T12/L1 and L4/L5. This has been causing me quite a lot of pain in my low back and left hip area for 1 1/2 years. I had physical therapy a year ago which helped very little. I am quite active and hate the restrictions this is causing. The doctor says he can do minimally invasive fusion surgery . So many people do everthing they can to avoid surgery. What is the advantage in waiting? I feel that eventually it will have to be done anyway. Right or Wrong?
Asked On : Tue, 7 Jun 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  83
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
Good Day
Yes, In such painful conditions of the spine it is best to do the spinal fusion surgery as your Doctor ordered, but I doubt the chance of relief in the restriction of movements. Do speak to your Doctor regarding this and the pros and cons of the Surgery.
Answered: Wed, 8 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor