Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Can I get rid of diabetes with healthy diet and exercise ?

If I have insulin resistance , can I stop diabetes happening to me with healthy diet and exercise? I am 30 year old female (unmarried) and I have hypothyroid and insulin resistance. I am overweight (83 kgs). All this happened due to my habit of unhealthy diet, too much lazyness and sleep. But now I want to improve my life. Doctor prescribed medicine like thyronorm 50 mcg which I am taking regularly but not able to take as per rules, i.e. doctor said don t eat or drink anything for one hour after taking medicine which I am not following. I am taking tea immediately after taking medicine because actually I wake up late and get late for office so not able follow rules as per doctors suggestion. Doctor also prescribed medicine for insulin resistance which I haven t started taking yet. Because I fear that if I take too much medicine I will have side effects so isn t there any way that if I start exercise and diet control then can I avoid medicine for insulin resistance and just take thyroid medicine? Is this possible or should I take insulin resistance medicine too? My father, uncles, cousins and grandfather all had diabetes. So if I exercise regularly and take healthy diet and avoid sweets and fast food or unhealthy food for lifetime then can I stop diabetes happening to me in future or now there is no hope. i.e. now that it is in my hereditary and I already have insulin resistance, I cannot stop it no matter whatever I do? Pls suggest me.
Asked On : Sun, 13 Nov 2011
Answers:  4 Views:  134
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello.Welcome to HCM forum.You are grossly overweight and hypothyroid and these are resulting in insulin resistance in you.You can't change your genes but you can reduce weight.If you are able to bring your BMI below 23 and adopt healthy life style you can ward off the danger of diabetes.You can do it so don't give hope.Thanks and good luck.
Answered: Tue, 15 Nov 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. K. P. V. Rao's  Response
Dear Ms.Pri,
Hypothyroid is one of the causes of obesity i.e. being overweight,and obesity leads to insulin resistance.So no matter what,you have to take thyronorm 50mcg to begin with & increase it gradually till your TSH comes back to normal.After that also you have to continue the drug because that is going to bring down your weight also.As your relatives also have Diabetes,the chances are you may also get it in due course,but you can delay it by controlling your diet,exercise etc.So take your medicines regularly.
Answered: Tue, 22 Nov 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Aparna Kohli's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic forum.
The treatment of insulin resistance mainly comprises of an intensive lifestyle modification program and certain drugs which need to be used only in specific circumstances. Lifestyle modification (i.e. a low calorie diet) and physical activity has been shown to be more effective than drug therapy in preventing diabetes. Adults must have atleast 50 minutes of physical activity everyday for atleast 5 days in a week. Adult women need about 1900-2200 calories everyday which should come from a balanced diet. Since you have a family history of diabetes, it would be a good idea to modify your lifestyle as explained above. It has been shown that type 2 diabetes can be prevented or delayed in individuals with insulin resistance with an intensive lifestyle regimen through which they lose atleast 5-7% of their body weight with a diet low in fat and calories. If you do not wish to take medication, it would be wise to consult your physician who would be in a better position to advise you.
Further, I would also advise you to take thyronorm without food/drinks since the drug is not as effective if taken with these agents. Also, as hypothyroidism also leads to weight gain, inadequate control of this condition would retard your weight loss.
Take care
Answered: Tue, 22 Nov 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Thanks for query,
I appreciated that you have confessed your weaknesses about your health and diet accuracy.
Dear,you have to go for oral antidiabetic medicines as prescribed your doctor and regular blood sugar testing too.
Go for strict diet control,avoid fat and carbohydrate from your regular diet.
Go for regular exercise as you are lazzy about.go for walking,swimming,jogging etc daily for 30-40 mnt 5 days in a week.
Actively involve in daily physical activities.
You father and other relatives are having diabetes so it is likely with you,by thinking this way you should not avoid medicines thinking that with diet and weight control you will control your diabetes and become alright.
To prevent diabetic complications diabetic control is a must and this can be achieved with diet,weight reduction and anti diabetic medicines.
Continue with hypothyroid medicine too.
Ok and take care.
Answered: Sun, 13 Nov 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor