Can I drink water before general anaesthesia?

Can I drink water before general anaesthesia ?
Wed, 8 May 2013
Dentist 's  Response
Hi ,
THANKS FOR ASKING QUERY,
General anesthesia is a condition in which medically induced coma occurs.In this relaxation of smooth muscles , sleep , analgesia, amnessia, loss of control of reflexes of autonomic nervous system occurs.
General anesthesia is used to carry out the various surgical procedures effectively without patient interference.
Before giving general anesthesia patient is completely medically evaluated to check its fittnes.
Prior to general anesthesia patients are strictly kept NPO nill by per oral that is patient has to take nothing orally atleast for the period of 8 hrs before the procedure.
So i suggest you to avoid anything orally for a period of at least 8 hrs.
hope this will help u.
ridhima's  Response
If you have been placed on NPO (midnight) i.e. Nothing Per Oral prior to general anesthesia, the chances of Inhalation/Aspiration pneumonia are increased, and this can result in table complications. Patients who didn't follow orders have to undergo CPR, including defibrillation of heart, even death. SO BETTER BE LATE THAN NEVER,in lighter veins. If at all required due to multiple factors we give the patient a dextrose water 5% i/v infusion (diabetes excluded) about 500 to 1000 ml.