Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

193 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Can I ask a doctor to suggest a treatment for my grandma who suffered a right hip fracture due to a fall ? She is 76 years old, diabetic ,obese

My grandmother is 76 years old. She is fat and cannot be lifted easily. She is a diabetic patient taking her medicines regularly. She slipped and fall down. We have consulted an orthopaedician and on seeing the X-ray he diagnosed that there is a fracture at her right hip, i.e. some displacement in the ball and the socket at her right hip. From our grandma, we came to know that the right side from the hip pains when she tries to move. She sits with our support and also with her self-support. She is lying on her right or lies straight while sleeping. I need your suggestion regarding what treatment should be done in this case.
Thu, 29 Dec 2011
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi, thanks for query.In case of aged patients the bones are very fragile due to osteoporosis,even with trivial injury they tend to break.In her case if she is having fracture of hip and displacement ,in normal case without surgery this will not unite.In some cases looking the age and medical condition treatment is decided whether to go for surgery or not.You,your orthopedic surgeon and your physician should jointly take this decision.There are always advantages and disadvantages of surgery in different situations.
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware's  Response
welcome to HealthcareMagic
If your granny had a fall resulting in a fracture it will be mostly Intra trochantric fracture of femur.She will have to get treated by a Orthopaedic surgeon.If she is not diabetic or hypertensive and her general condition is good then the doctor will advise surgery to fix the fracture and she should recover.If her condition is inoperable or complicated then even without surgery the bone will get joined but it will not be proper and in old people after such fractures there is always a risk of having paralysis or heart attack due to blood clot dislodged from the fracture site.So please consult a Ortho surgeon for treatment.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

my mother had a fall last week and fractured her hip. she s 85 yrs old and has high BP, heart condition. The doctors are worried about her health and so are we. We think surgery would be too risky at her age and condition. What can we do? Will the fracture heal on its own? She can t bear weight on her left leg and uses a walker to move around.

doctor1 MD

We have a 91 year old female relative who fell and fractured her hip just prior to Christmas. Four hours later she went into hospital and a couple of days later had surgery. But over the past few weeks her health in hospital deteriated she now has bed sores and dry gangrene and has now been sent to a nursing home closer to her relatives. She is sleeping 98% of the time now and also has malnutrition do you know what her life expectancy may be?

doctor1 MD

Hello, Two weeks ago I missed a step while going down the stairs and fell very hard on my bum, I fell so hard I thought I had broken my hip bone. The second day after my fall I noticed a VERY big deep purple bruise in my left cheek, with a dent (looks like a horizontal dimple) I did not think much of it since I thought it was part of the healing process, today, two weeks after the incident, the bruise is still visible and almost gone but the dent is still visible and visible through my pants.. I ve done some research and found out that this may not heal because it could be fat cell destruction and need fat injection or fat grafting. To be honest i am very concerned about this and now very self conscious, I will be seeing my family doctor in about two weeks but i would like some type of explaination or solution to this please and thank you

Recent questions on Bone fracture

doctor1 MD

please suggest diagnose

age: 31yr, height:5ft, weight: 58, There was a discharge from right ear;now doctor given antibiotics,discharge now stopped said this is cholesteatoma, but digital xray done on some others doctors advice: report is

x-ray mastoids-law,s view report:

There is e/o partial sclerosis of both mastoid air cells(L>R)

Sinus and dural plates are normal

No evidence of fracture of any bone seen

doctor1 MD

there is a hairline fracture in the parietal bone of my 9 months old baby as he has fallen from the swing one month back. but now due to minor injury again on the same place, there persist a swelling on the skull. what treatment and precautions should we take?

doctor1 MD

history: 6 weeks ago, concussion & temporal skull fracture. medication: lisinopril hct (high blood pressure) Recently, in the last 1-2 weeks, I ve been experiencing mild cramps in my legs, arms, and chest that don t follow strenuous activity. They seem to appear out of nowhere. In the last few days, I ve started having intense, shooting pains, in the muscles near the lateral end of both clavicles. Any ideas as to what could be going on? Cause for concern, or should I just wait this out?

doctor1 MD

My cousin (22 yr old) met with an accident in which her Shin bone and Collar bone got fractured. Is it better to just plaster and let them heal, or use rods and plates to fix them? Would it be better to fix the leg fracture using rod, and let the...

doctor1 MD

I hit my head pretty bad and heard a sort of shattering sound like glass breaking. Problem is nothing got broken around me. I have a huge knot on the right side base of my skull. Is the sound I heard normal? Was it maybe a normal side affect?

doctor1 MD

My Wife recently undergone CT(Face) 3D scan for nasal bone fracture . She had and C-Section Delivery 22 day before. I have heard lots of side effects of CT scan and I am really worried. This is the 1st CT scan done.Please tell me the adverse...