Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Can I ask a doctor if the treatment advised for my 6 year old daughter's eyesight problem is correct ?

As you suggested earlier, I have consulted with a doctor about my daughter's (6 yrs old) eye sight. He found the eye sight is 6/12 and prescribed her a glass with -2.00 for left eye and -2.25 for right eye. My questions are 1. is it right suggestion? and 2. is there any treatment to recover this damage of eye sight? Sir, my daughter (6 yrs old) has a problem on eye sight. She can not feel comfort to see the object about 20 fit distance (for example to see black board from the last bench in a classroom of kinder garten school). She has tendency to see the object or words in book with very closer distance (near to her). Would you please suggest me or advice me which specialist of doctors I have to consult?
Asked On : Sun, 22 May 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  119
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Ophthalmologist 's  Response

It will be informative if you can tell us the comfort level of your daughter with glasses... is her vision fine with glasses? then u need not be bothered. . the glass prescription also should then be right. .

she should be having myopia and at this age glasses are the only option for her. . contact lenses can be tried after she becomes a little older. . Lasik after she has turned 18 and after the power stabilises. .
Answered: Wed, 1 Feb 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Ophthalmologist Dr. N. K. Misra's  Response
welcome to healthcaremagic portal
This is myopia.There is no treatment at this age.She has to have regular yearly check up.The power is to keep on increasing till she has attained maturity,19-20 yrs of age
After that one can have lasik laser
Answered: Sun, 22 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Mohammed Tauseef's  Response
Hi Moniruzzaman, Welcome to HealthcareMagic Forum.
Your daughter has Astigmatism. She has a proper Prescription for her eyesight and she has to wear the corrective the eye glasses. Astigmatism, is a mild and generally easily treatable imperfection in the curvature of eye. The condition can cause blurred vision. It occurs when the cornea or the lens, inside the eye, has a slightly different surface curvature in one direction from the other. Instead of being even and smooth in all directions and may occur in combination with nearsightedness or farsightedness.
She needs to get herself examined by a Ophthalmologist to so that he can examined her and measure the light reflected from the surface of the cornea and its curvature. This is called Keratometry. The treatment options include, corrective eye glasses, contact lenses which i don't suggest her considering her age and Surgical options like, LASIK surgery, Photorefractive keratectomy or Laser-assisted subepithelial keratomileusis (LASEK).
So kindly get a Second opinion from a Ophthalmologist.

I Wish her Good Health.
Answered: Sun, 22 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor