Can Glucosamine and MSM be taken for joint pain?

i am 65 and exercise a lot- cardio- weights boot camps .............. I have been taking 1500 Glucosamine +MSM 1500 mg tabs-to help reduce joint pains Knee--- bought at wal mart Because this is an unregulated supplement i would like to know of any side effects or any down sides. i am anon smoker/drinker -- my only vice is thte gym. thanks in advance
Tue, 9 Apr 2019

It is great that you are working out.
Glucosamine sulfate can cause lead to mild side effects such as nausea, heartburn, diarrhea, and constipation. Rare side effects are drowsiness, skin reactions, and headache.
If the medications help you in your workouts and you feel you function better taking them and you haven't noticed any side effects so far I think it is safe to continue on taking them. Keep on your good health habits.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Ahmad Nazzal, General & Family Physician