Can Gabapentin be taken for severe pain in the shoulder?

I had an epidural injection about 4 months ago due to inflammation and severe pain from swollen L 4 and L5 and was given gabapentin 100 mg to use afterwards for pain...I was on it for maybe a week and then wean off and have not use id since--had no side effects. I believe I may have pinched a nerve in my upper area--as I awoke with shooting pain in my left shoulder...it has persisited all day. I took some meloicam (1 tablet) around 2 pm and put on a Salon Pas OTC patch....still in pain. Question is Can I take 1 gabapentin to help me sleep and then call the prescribing dr. tomorrow.? The pain in on back side of left shoulder and depending on how I move it creates a localize shooting, stabbing pain --not going down my arm ....awaiting your opinion--I see you are from Ireland -- just got my DNA kit back and I am about 50% -- love doing geneaolgy when I m feeling well!
Mon, 16 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

You may suffering from nerve root compression or Radiculopathy pain, it is also possible that axillary nerve compression. You may take Gabapentin for pain relief. Please consult your physician he will examine and treat you accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Penchila Prasad Kandikattu