Can Elavil be taken for depression?

Hello - My mom (almost 100 years old passed away 7 months ago - I am extremely depressed - more now than before!!! some 20-25 years ago I had taken Elavil for another episode of depression - I was wondering if I could take it now - and would I need a prescription? I remember it had helped me....THANK YOU MUCH for your anticipated help..Larissa O.
Mon, 2 Jul 2018
Thank you for using our Ask A Doctor service. I hope this message is of some help to you. Please feel free to ask further if necessary.

Yes, Elavil is approved for treatment of depression. You will need a prescription from a local doctor.