Can Dicyclomine be taken for abdominal pain while suffering from diverticulitis?

Hi dr. I suffer from diverticulitis, I was in the hospital for 3 days March 13 . I was put on. Gluten free diet by my Dietition and I'm slowly introducing some fiber into my body. However, I saw my GI dr. Last week, I was feeling good until I started taking Metamucil almost a week ago which he told me to do. I have some Dicyclomine hci 10mg here, which my other GI dr had prescribed when I was seeing her. Do u think the Dicyclomine would hurt me if I took one for this belly ache, it's not severe pain but I know it's there. Can u pls give me your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Mon, 18 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

There is no evidence that dietary modifications are helpful in the management of diverticulitis. If you have simple diverticulitis (no abscesses or perforations) or fever, I suggests that you stay on semi-solid foods (soup, yogurt, etc.) for a week or so, and take over-the-counter pain medication, preferably aspirin. To prevent recurrent diverticulitis, I advise a high-fiber diet, and abstinence from smoking and NSAID use. Anecdotally, Rifaximin, which is a locally acting antibiotic that is poorly absorbed from the gut, may provide symptom relief.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.