Can Augmentin be taken along with Metformin HCL ER and Glipizide?

Can Augmentin be taken with Metformin HCL ER and Glipicide? I had a bad reaction to taking a penicillin with Bactrian in it previously. I have diabetes and it caused my kidneys to start to shut down and sugar to hit low of 21! I have a kidney/ urinary infection but I am afraid of the meds.... Is this safe?
Thu, 28 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Augmentin can be safely used with metformin and glipizide. Renal failure (if that's what you're implying) is against the use of these antidiabetic medications though. Low blood sugar when taking glipizide is a little worrisome and you'd better talk about it with your doctor as soon as possible. In patients with an impaired renal function I usually stop drugs of this drug-class because they tend to cause hypoglycemia more often than in individuals with normal renal function. Metformin is also contraindicated when the glomerular filtration rate is low.

Besides that augmentin has numerous potential side effects and most of them occur unpredictably for any particular individual. In other words, nobody can tell whether you're going to experience side effects or not until you actually take the drug. I can only say that augmentin is not contraindicated when taking metformin and/or glipizide, therefore it's considered to be safe.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.