Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Can 3 hpts be false positive ?

hi, i had a miscarriage 10 weeks ago and havent had a period since. (i confirmed with blood test 3 weeks after that the pregnancy had ended.) i had a blood test done on the 18th feb and it was negative for pregnancy so i went home and was to wait 2 months for period and doc would repeat tests if still no period, but on the 24th i did a home pregnancy test and it was positive, then again the following morning so my doc asked for another blood test to be done. i also did another test today (1st march) and it was positive again, but the nurse mentioned when i had my blood test today that the dr thought i had a false positive, surely 3 tests cant be false can they?
Asked On : Wed, 2 Mar 2011
Answers:  5 Views:  193
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
  User's Response
hi welcome to health care magic.possibility of 3 times false positive are less but you should confirm it by sonography of abdomen which speak the truth.
Answered: Mon, 8 Aug 2011
  User's Response
hi welcome to HCM.confirmation of pregnancy is presence of gestation ring on USG.some times this blood test may go false positive better get one USG done ok.
Answered: Mon, 8 Aug 2011
General & Family Physician Dr. Smrithi's  Response
Hi, a blood test can detect the presence of pregnancy but it cannot confirm it. confirmatory is ultrasound only.. Get an ultrasound as early as possible..
Answered: Mon, 8 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
you should go for some pregnency comfirmation test like sonography(abdominal, and transvaginal).
thanks for using HCM forum
Answered: Mon, 8 Aug 2011
General & Family Physician Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale's  Response
Hi, three hpt can be false positive if
Urine sample collected is contaminated.
there is active urine OR vaginal infection.
So you should belive the blood test, get sonography done to clear doubt.& get treatment accordingly.
Answered: Tue, 9 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor