Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Calcification of Achilles. Would Panadol fix the problem?

Hi Doctor I injured my Achilles in January 2009 it wasn t diagnosed until August 2009,after i changed doctors because my doctor of 23 years told me to take some panadol and go home i was getting old.On changing doctors,i was immediately sent for a CT Scan wher they found tendinosis of the Achilles. ULTRASOUND RIGHT ANKLE. August 2009 The distal end of the right Achilles tendon is diffusely thickened and has heterogeneous echotexture.Associated increased colour Doppler flow the features in keeping with neovascularisation. There are also hypoechoic foci within the deep fibres adjacent the calcaneal attachment in keeping with interstitial tear.There is a prominent fusiform component in the distal Achilles tendon spanning at least 40mm on a background of overall slightly thicker Achilles tendon.Associated mild bony irregularity of the calcaneal attachment.The thickened Achilles tendon also causes skin contour deformity .No bursa demonstrated deep to the Achilles tendon. Appearances consistant with Achilles tendinosis and interstitial tear.The tendinosis changes involve the majority of the tendon,though changes are more extensive in the distal 4cm.Associated bony enthesopathy changes. XRAY RIGHT ANKLE Bony irregularity and calcification demonstrated at the Achilles attachment at the calcaneal in keeping with a calcific tendinosis.Associated contour deformity of the skin overlying the Achilles tendon.Small plantar calcaneal spur and normal plantar arch .Hinfoot alignment is normal.Bony roughening over the medial malleolus and calcification along the line of the liganent,in keeping with previous ligament avulsion injury.Talocrural joint is preserved. That was the full report,i was told that no surgeon would touch me,i could only walk 50 yards without it flareing up,which as made my quality of life pretty poor for the last 2 years i went to a Podiatrist who made inserts for my shoes at considerable cost,thes have had no bearing on my situation,and as i have spinal canal stenosis you may appreciate that i am not very happy.I gave up work in November 2009, this was not a work related injury and contrary to the report above i have not had a previous injury to the ligament as stated (no injury that i am aware of. At this point in time i am having a flare up of the pain in my ankle,which means that it hadn t gone away but i was putting up with it (lifestyle and all).But for the past 2 monthss it astaken very little for it to become pretty walking to the mail box.just walking around the garden.I am now 62yrs and 6 months old,so as you may appreciate this as been going on for some time,drugs have not worked,and as a result i have seen another doctor who as sent me for a CT Scan on Monday 31st January,i am hopig this time for something positive to come from this although i have a feeling that the calcification will be more pronounced,but i am hoping that maybe he may refer me to a specialist.I have only one question to ask you Doctor,on first presentation of a swollen ankle and this description of how this happened (i was jogging around the garden table with my 2 grand chidren 4yrs at that time,when i suddenly pulled up lame {my words}.Should i have been sent for a ct scan as opposed to me asking after 4 visits for one only to get an XRAY of my ankle so that internal bone caner could be ruled out because he thought my pain was age related and a few Panadol would fix the problem? Maybe then a boot would have been fitted and i could have avoide 2 years of agony Thank You in anticipation PS I live in Australia
Asked On : Thu, 27 Jan 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  435
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Thanks for query,
from history it suggests that you are having achieles tentdenitis.
This is very common,Any how forget it.
I advice that injection of steroid at local site will give good and long relief.
You can ask your treating doctor and he may give if he thinks proper.
Ok and bye.
Answered: Thu, 18 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor