Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

CT scan shows glass" like things on her lungs. should I be worried?

My mom had a CT scan done today, and it showed she has "glass" like things on her lungs. What does that mean? Her doctor called her within 4 hours after the CT scan to inform her he was going to send her to a lung specialist. She does not smoke, but is around second hand smoke on a daily basis. I do not know why she did not ask questions to her doctor when he was on the phone with her. Should I be worried.
Asked On : Sat, 6 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  65
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Hi ss,
Thanks for visiting HCM.
It must not be ''glass''. Correct term is ground glass opacity, which usually is halfway between full consolidation and normal lung. It usually denotes pulmonary infections like tuberculosis. But can occur in lung edema, lung haemorrhages, lung fibrosis. I wish you must have told about the preceding symptoms like cough, shortness of breath, bloody sputum, loss of weight etc. Ground glass means the disease is at the stage when it be cured.

So don't be panic and meet a good pulmonologist in your area to clinically correlate the CT scan findings and come to a diagnosis. In the meantime you may go for Sputum examination for acid fast bacilli done which is available at designated microscopy centres free of cost..

Best wishes
Answered: Thu, 25 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor