Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

CT coronary angiogram shows mixed plaque. Noted to be causing stenosis. Do I have to go for further tests?

I have recently done my CT coronary angiogram and it says that there is a mixed plaque in the origin of the left anterior descending measuring 1cm in length, pre stenotic diameter 4mm. This is noted to be causing a stenosis of approximately 50-75%, marked in nature. Minor mixed plaque in the mid LAD is causing a stenosis of appr.25%.Do I have to go for furthur tests? What is my problem?
Asked On : Sun, 18 Nov 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  162
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Cardiologist 's  Response
Do I have to go for furthur tests ?
answer is YES. you must do routine coronary angiogram .

What is my problem?
you have blockage in your artery which supply blood to the heart and artery which is main artery is LAD
you have blockage at origin of LAD with 50 to 70 % stenosis
in that case routine coronary angiogram should be done to know exact amount of stenosis in lumen and if it is significant amount of blockage in that case you need to go for further tratment .
if blockage is significant and proper treatment not taken in time in that case there are higher chances of having heart attack in future .
consult your cardiologist and go ahead as per his advice .
take care
Answered: Sun, 18 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Pathologist and Microbiologist Dr. Shailja Puri 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM
I would like to give you an overview of the topic for better understanding.
Left anterior descending (LAD) coronary artery is an end artery supplying the major part of heart muscles (left heart). End artery means that it is the only artery and there is no other arterial supply for that area.
Any of the following cause- plaque, growth in the vessel, pressure from outside, spasm of the vessel can cause narrowing of the blood vessel.
Narrowing of a vessel due to any cause will increase the vascular resistance and decrease the blood supply to the distal vascular bed.
A critical narrowing is the percentage of narrowing beyond which there is significant reduction of blood supply to the vascular bed.
This critical narrowing is 60-75%.
You have mentioned that you have two plaques- one at the origin of the LAD and it is causing 50-75% marrowing and the other one in the middle of LAD causing 25% narrowing.
The plaque at the origin is causing a critical narrowing and it has to be dealt.
There are various interventions to remove this narrowing- ballon angioplasty, stent placement and arterial by pass surgery.
Please consult your cardiologist for further management.

Thank you and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Answered: Sun, 18 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor