Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Burnt lip. Scab fell off. Formed bump in the area. Matter of concern?

Hi, Exactly two weeks ago, I burned my lower lip . Next day, I went to the doctor and she gave me some ointment. I am using the ointment and it seemed to be healing good, but exactly 6 days ago while I was eating ice cream the scab fell off. It didnt bleed and the burn was better. The skin was a little more pink (reddish) than the rest of the lip, but I didnt worry because the skin was completly new. I, even, noticed that I was still missing some layers of skin and that it wasnt completely heal. I continued watching it and putting the ointment. The color is almost matching the rest of the lip and most of the burn is completely gone, but now I am little worried. Three days ago, I noticed that the part that is not gone yet (less than half of the original burn) developed a new layer of skin, that layer protudes the rest of the lip. It is not exaggerated, but it is like a little bump and it doesnt seem to be reducing itself. It doesn t hurt. I dont have any uncommon sensation. It feels like the rest of the lip, but it is not level with the rest of the skin lip. Should I worry? Can I do something? I am 27 years old. Weight 112. I do exercise. I dont have any health problem.
Asked On : Sun, 24 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  104
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Dermatologist 's  Response
See in your case, the healing process after the injury ie the burn is still taking place...after any injury, we should give sometime to the normal repair mechanisms of our body to do the repair and healing which is what is happening in your case.Just keep using a sunscreen regularly,,Even vitamin C helps in better healing, so you can take oral supplementation..Other than that as you are saying , that the new skin is slightly raised than the rest of the area, it sometimes can be a matter of concern if the area is not only raised but also firm as compared to the surrounding skin ...but this doesnt seem to be in your case,,,So i would advise you to wait for atleast 2 weeks and then if it persists,,then consult a dermatologist..
Hope it helps

Dr Geetika Paul
Answered: Thu, 11 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor