Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Burning urination, itching, dryness, tenderness, fishy odor

Hi, My vagina has been weird for about two weeks now. After a sports tournament, it began burning when I had to pee. Then it began feeling rawer and stinging more regularily. Now it itches inside as well as burns pretty often. The outside lips also seem a bit dry towards the bottom. It is very tender and uncomfortable. In the first two days there was a fishy odour but there is deffinitely no odour anymore. I am also not experiencing chunky or oddly coloured discharge so I don t beleive it s a yeast infection . I m also confident that it can t be an STD or STI since me and my boyfriend have never been with anyone else, and we always use a condom. I have been wearing only cotton underwear, washing with only water and, avoiding tight clothing but it isn t getting any better.
Asked On : Fri, 1 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  29
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM.

Thank you for your query.

Fishy odor, with itching and burning sensation does indicate an infection of some sort.

The possibilities are:
-Bacterial vaginosis
-Yeast infections
and so on...

It would be best to visit a doctor, who could order for tests to confirm the diagnosis and accordingly treat you.

In the meantime, avoiding sexual intercourse with your boyfriend would be advised.

I hope I have succeeded in answering your questions, you could write back to me anytime for further clarifications.

Best wishes.
Answered: Sat, 2 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Geriatrics Specialist Dr. Surendiran Gaj's  Response
hi there,
am dr.surendran
nice to meet you here in HCMagic
bacterial vaginosis is the commenest cause of fishy odour
To make a diagnosis of bacterial vaginosis, a swab from inside the vagina should be obtained. These swabs should be tested for:
A characteristic "fishy" odor on wet mount. This test, called the whiff test, is performed by adding a small amount of potassium hydroxide to a microscopic slide containing the vaginal discharge. A characteristic fishy odor is considered a positive whiff test and is suggestive of bacterial vaginosis.
Loss of acidity. To control bacterial growth, the vagina is normally slightly acidic with a pH of 3.8–4.2. A swab of the discharge is put onto litmus paper to check its acidity. A pH greater than 4.5 is considered alkaline and is suggestive of bacterial vaginosis.

The presence of clue cells on wet mount. Similar to the whiff test, the test for clue cells is performed by placing a drop of sodium chloride solution on a slide containing vaginal discharge. If present, clue cells can be visualized under a microscope. They are so-named because they give a clue to the reason behind the discharge. These are epithelial cells that are coated with bacteria.
Metronidazole or clindamycin either orally or vaginally are effective treatment. However, there is a high rate of recurrence.
The usual medical regimen for treatment is the antibiotic Metronidazole (500 mg twice a day, once every 12 hours) for 7 days. A one-time 2g dose is no longer recommended by the CDC because of low efficacy. Extended release metronidazole is an alternative recommendation.
Alternatively, antibiotics may be applied topically (vaginally).
hope i helped with your query,
with regards dr.surendiran [hcmagic]
Answered: Sat, 2 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor