Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
161 Doctors are Online

Bump on the gum in front tooth. Why is the tooth rotting? What can be done?

My son has a big bump on gum on top of his front tooth . It s grown even bigger today and shows a little white dot. My son is 3 with no teeth lost yet but his teeth are rotting. What is this? I went ahead and try to push in it. Gross it was gushing liquid. Put some dental relief on it. It looks better but it s still big! U think the surgery to take it out is necessary? It s going cost me $2000 with my insurance. That s alot.
Asked On : Fri, 28 Sep 2012
Answers:  4 Views:  217
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Hello and thank you for your questions.
The bump you are describing is an abscess. You need to have your child brought in to a dental clinic to have the infection removed via extraction of the teeth or root canal therapy and possible antibiotic therapy.

Are you brushing and flossing your child's teeth? His oral health today will affect his oral health tomorrow. You may be putting him to bed with other fluids besides water. Water should be the only thing that a child goes to bed with. Anything else will rot their teeth (baby bottle rot).

If your dentist is costing you $2000.00 on top of insurance coverage for a tooth extraction, I highly recommend getting a consult by another dentist. This sounds extremely high.

Do not sit on this problem with your child. Since his condition and age, not seeking immediate attention can be considered child neglect and state services can get involved.

Best wishes!
Dr. Ward
Answered: Sun, 7 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Sapna Purwaha's  Response
i read your problem.
the bump on gums seem to be an must have
caused due to cavity in concern tooth or food impaction
between gums and tooth.
i would advice you get incision and drainage if abcess
and if necessory treat the tooth endidontically.
patient will have to take antibiotics and anslgesics
to lower the infection.
this procedure us not that costly i dont know what surgury
your dentist wanna do costing so high.
ask your son to rinse mouth with warm saline water
twice dailt that would provide relief.
Answered: Fri, 28 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
hello and welcome,
your son's teeth are affected by nursing bottle carries.
this is due to bottle feeding before sleep or due to pacifiers dipped in honey or sweeteners or prolong breast-feeding.
this is a specific form of rampant carries,which is an acute widespread caries with early pulpal involvement of teeth,which are usually immune to decay.
in early stages ,the decay can be managed by topical fluride application.
in this case,the decay is too deep as thereis gushing liquid.
the decay has progressed into pulpal and periapical area and there is periapical abscess seen in x-ray in such cases.
in first visit,lesion should be excavated and restored with ZOE,DRAIN THE abscess,diet chart to be given to record diet for 1 week.,counsel the parent.
in second visit,ie,after one week,analyse the diet chart,isolate the sugar factors from diet chart and control sugar exposure,perform caries activity tests.
in third visit,endodontic treatment ,extraction of unrestorable teeth followed by space maintenance,crowns has to be done.
recall every 3 months.
Answered: Fri, 28 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Katta R Venkatesh's  Response
It seems you son's tooth is decayed and infected, It need dental consultation and might require dental x-ray.

Is he having milk in the night and sleeping with out rinsing his mouth. It might be rampant caries/bottle caries. You need teach him to brush his teeth & rinse in mouth before going to bed.
Please visit dentist for correct diagnosis and proper treatment, nothing to worry, it can be treated.

Thanks & Regards,

Dr Katta R Venkatesh

Answered: Fri, 28 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor