Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Bump on gum burst open while brushing. Now shrinking . Is it curing?

OK so you see i have a pretty big bump on my gums ( not pus filled) along side a cavity and it s been hurting quite a it it s hard for me to eat anything and ive had it for a week now and suddenly ( with out me touching it ) it burst open with blood flowing this happened when i was brushing my teeth . and it has begane to shrink ever since. IS THIS GOOD??????
Asked On : Sat, 16 Feb 2013
Answers:  8 Views:  1084
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for sharing your concern with us
A ruptured abscess is a collection of encapsulated inflammatory material that breaks open, releasing pus and other fluids into the surrounding area. Depending on the location of the abscess, a rupture may make a patient feel better by allowing the abscess to drain.
Most gum abscesses will heal quickly after three things happen:
The area is cleaned thoroughly.
The trapped pus is allowed to escape.
The infection is treated.
Answered: Sun, 17 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
HI and welcome to HCM,
Cavity formation in the tooth associated with the gum swelling indicates infection in the tooth.
tooth decay spreads deep and infectes the nerve tissue leading to PULPITIS , that is inflammation of the tooth nerve.
This bacterial infection spreads to the underlying periondontal tissues vis the root apex leading to swelling in the gums or the jaw bone.
As you have mentioned gum swelling is due to periapical lesion arising from infected tooth.
You need to visit a dentist and get a x ray examinaiton done followed root canal treatment to remove the infected nerve and fill the tooth at root apex to prevent further damage.
i hope this helps ,
take care
Answered: Sun, 17 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Akanksha Sharma's  Response
Welcome to HCM!
This bump that you mention is nothing but an abscess. As you mentioned it is next to a cavity in a tooth, this has occured due to chronic pulpitis, i.e. infected tooth pulp. Although it has shrinked after getting burst, i shall recommend you see a dentist for the same. The clinical examination of the decayed tooth and its xray will help in chalking out the treatment plan. Mostly the tooth involved shall go for a Root canal therapy unless very grossly decayed. Secondly, you will need to take antibiotics for the same but it shall be best for your dentist to decide on it after a thorough examination. Kindly get this checked as this bump may recurr in future.
Take care :)
Warm regards,
Dr. Akanksha Sharma
Answered: Sat, 16 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

  User's Response
your swelling or bump on your gum because of may be because of infection present in your tooth.sometimes tooth decay is not visible but it is seen in visit your dentist and go for xray.swelling burst open causes relese of blood so you feel relief cause of release of pressure.but you have to visit your dentist and go for proper treatment so that it will not swell again.
Answered: Sat, 16 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Deepthi Reddy's  Response
Thank you for the query.
Bump on the gums suggests of formation of abscess which can be due to infection in the gum or adjacent teeth .
Any erupting abscess when punctured will bleed usually, as the pus is not formed yet.
I would advise you to see your dentist and get it drained completely which will be followed by curettage if required and irrigated with betadine solution .This is followed by a course of antibiotic and analgesics and warm salt water rinses .
Hope this information helps you.
Answered: Mon, 18 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Neha Gupta's  Response
Thanks for sharing your concern with us
If you can see or feel a pimple-like swelling on your gum, rinse your mouth several times a day with a mild salt-water solution. Use 1/2 teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water. This may help to relieve pressure. Even if the rinse seems to help, you still need to see your dentist as soon as possible.
If you are still experiencing pain, the doctor may prescribe pain pills for home use over the next 1-2 days.
Answered: Sun, 17 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
dear friend

thanks for sharing your concern.

the bump you see on your gum is nothing but abscess.

your gum swelling is due to periapical lesion arising from an infected tooth
.for this you need to visit a dentist get an xray done.
on dentist advice you can start your RCT treatment.
this will solve your gum problem
.further you can take a course of antibiotic along with analgesic for pain and infection.

Answered: Mon, 25 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
It seems that due to cavity in the tooth there infection in the root of the tooth giving rise to formation of abscess.
Go for antibiotic medicine medicine and afterwards go for feeling of cavity or go for Root canal treatment as advised by Dentist.
Do antiseptic warm water gargling frequently.
ok and bye.
Answered: Sat, 16 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor