Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Bump beneath skin inside labia majora, growing in size, no pain or irritation. Sebaceous cyst?

I have a bump under the skin of the inside of my labia majora which has been there for many years and has been identified as a cyst during a gynmecological exam. It appears to be getting larger, now the size of a large pea. It is not irritated or painful but I am now more aware of it. I am 65 years old. Is it a sebaceous cyst and should I have it removed?
Asked On : Fri, 18 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  523
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
OBGYN 's  Response
Thanks for the query.

Yorr symptoms of progressively increasing swelling on the inner aspect of labia majora indicates diagnosis of bartholin's cyst.

A Bartholin's cyst is formed when a Bartholin's gland is blocked, causing a fluid-filled cyst to develop.

It can be caused by an infection, inflammation, or physical blockage to the Bartholin's ducts. If infection sets in, the result is a Bartholin's abscess.

You need to get your blood sugar tested as it is more common in diabetics.
Treatment would surgical excision with Marsupialization.

Dr nilofer
Answered: Fri, 18 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Geriatrics Specialist Dr. Surendiran Gaj's  Response
hi there
am dr.surendiran
nice to meet you here in HCMagic
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.
The swelling in labia would be a boil or cyst ,in order to prevent further spread of the infection.
1 Keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap ,that help to relieve your pain.
2 Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment are also useful.
3 In case the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics may be needed.
for further preceding ,have proper examination and proceed
hope helped your query
regards dr.surendiran hcmagic
Answered: Fri, 1 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor