Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Bump above the temple, growing in size, irregular shape. What should be done?

My son is 8 and has a bump above his temple and when touched it gives the bounce that a vein gives. It has grown about 1cm in the last month. He is also non-verbal and autistic, but when I push on it he pushes my hand away, so I assume it is at least uncomfortable. It was round and pretty symetrical at first, now that it is growing it is becoming irregular and more asymetrical.Should I take him to see the neuro doc? Lab work for sed rate testing? MRI?
Asked On : Wed, 8 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  21
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Radiologist, Interventional 's  Response

Thank you for your question.

This bump can be a Vascular Malformation.

These are improperly grown blood vessels that get entangled and cause a swelling.

An MRI of the head with STIR protocol will be able to differentiate it between a Slow Flow and a High Flow Vascular malformation.

This can be treated appropriately depending on what it is on the MRI.

Slow flow malformations are typically soft and non pusatile and can be treated by percutaneously injecting Sclerosing Agents like Sodium Tetradecyl Sulphate.

High flow malformations would be pulsatile to touch and would need an intra arterial embolization followed by surgical excision.

The Sclerotherapy or Embolization is done by a Vascular Interventional Radiologist like myself.


Dr.Saurabh Joshi,
Consultant Vascular Interventional Radiologist
Answered: Mon, 15 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor