Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Bulging disk at the base of neck & pain in arm

bulging disk at the base of her neck, pain in arm and hand. my wife started suffering from what turned out to be, at least, a bulging disk at the base of her neck about six years ago. this eventually became visible (bulging out of her neck) and began causing severe nerve pain, mostly in her right arm and hand. ct scans show 2 herniated disks somewhere in the "c" section of her spine. she was put on darvacet (sp?), they ran tests, and eventually began giving her fluoroguide shots monthly. of course, she's been given the general diagnosis that if therapy and injections don't work, surgery is the only other option. so, now the pain is spreading to her right leg. it seems to be getting worse. would surgery provide any real relief? is she getting the best advice?
Asked On : Fri, 8 Jan 2010
Answers:  1 Views:  534
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  Anonymous's Response

yes surgery will provide the relief from the pain of the present herniated disk. surgery is the option if medications does not work is the specific advise and not general advise, initially the pain is treated with painrelief medications and physiotheraphy and steroid injections. this is done in the hope that the patien will do the physiotheraphy regularly and will improve the back muscle strength, if he fails to do so than decompressive surgery is the option.

Answered: Sat, 9 Jan 2010
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor