Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Bulging disc, numbness, neck pain. Alternative to surgery?

Hi my 26 year old son has a bulging disc at C6/7he has lost a lot of strength in his L arm and muscle tone also has numbness and pins and needles and constant neck pain . He has had the injection into the bulge with very little relief. This was at least 6 weeks age.He is now to have surgery on the 4 /2 13 he is to have x 2 screws and a spacer into his spine . I am really worried something could go wrong. Is there any other alternatives we have not tried. My son is a high level sports man and his fitness is really important to him. What is the long term affects of the surgery does it ever have to be done again 20 yrs or so. I know he will probably have to have the surgery but just want to make sure we have done everything possible before he has it.
Asked On : Fri, 25 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  57
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Spine Surgeon 's  Response
The symptoms you have told are a clear indication for surgical intervention. Usually some antiinflammatory and physio is tried for some time, but if there is no relief, surgical decompression of the nerves is the answer.

There can be complications from any surgery, but it is usually less than 2% in experienced hands.

Another option besides screws and spacer is artificial disc replacement. At this younger age, it keeps the segment mobile and prevents adjacent segment degeneration overtime.
You can discuss about this option with your doctor.

Answered: Fri, 25 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor