Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
161 Doctors are Online

Bulge seen on wrist. Is it serious ?

I saw a small bulge on my wrist(joint where palm and hands join). My company ergonomic expert said that it could be a gangleon. Is is serious ? and what are the effects of it. Will it be harmful if I ignore it ?
Mon, 7 May 2012
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
OBGYN 's  Response
He is probably right. A ganglion, is an excessive collection , of proteinaceous material in the sheath, of a tendon.There is normally a small quantity of the same to help the tendon ( Part that attaches the muscle to the bone ) slide smoothly.This is not in anyway a dangerous condition, is is more common in those doing repetitive wrist movements, in the course of their occupation, like Typists & those that use the keyboards for long hours.
It can be left alone,or if it is big enough , to make you self-concious or is growing. it can be aspirated & injected with a steroid or removed surgically.There is chance of recurrence with aspiration though.But do ensure it is, not any other condition.
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
if it is painful.,,..try kanchanara and triphala guggulu....but in my opinion its a surgical case....excision is the only option...
  User's Response
hi man,Did you sustain any injury?if so consult an orthopedician. A ganglion cyst is a fluid-filled cyst that usually forms at the wrist or elbow joint and arises from the tissue lining the tendons and joints. The cyst is painless and benign and contains a clear, jelly like fluid. It may increase in size slowly. Though the cyst can occur at any age, it is most common during the 30's and in old age. It is also more common in women than in men.Since these cysts are not cancerous and not painful, sometimes they may be left alone. However, if they are cosmetically unappealing or restrict movements, then they may have to be removed.For this u need to consult a surgeon.
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor