Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Bruising from knee to ankle with swelling and pain post injury to shin, no X-ray performed, advised rest. Second opinion required?

Hi my partner was kicked in the shin while playing soccer .. 6 days ago he has bruising from behind the knee to the ankle .. It continues to swell and is painful .. He did go to a hospital emergancy to see if they would X-ray but the doctor grabbed his leg below the knee and above the ankle and moved it to see if he could feel a break .. He said just rest it .. To me where the impact was looks like it is going to pop or like a boil kind of look about it what do u think should he get second opinion ? Thank you for your time Karen
Asked On : Mon, 30 Jul 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  83
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Dear friend, welcome to HCM.
if your partner can walk without pain / limp, fracture is unlikely. especially if the bony shin feels uniform to touch in front.
if you say there is a painful roundish swelling, it could be soft tissue trauma/ or bleed (hematoma).
if there is nothing else happening and the ER doc felt there is no fracture, it would resolve.
if you are anxious or it is not settling, pl. get it evaluated from another ortho doc to look for the fracture or soft tissue injury.
I think distantly I can offer this much advice.
thanks and wish him good luck.
pl. keep me informed on the progress.
Answered: Mon, 30 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Hi, Kaza-lee,
Thanks for query.
It seems that your partner might have developed blood collection ( Hematoma ) in the part giving rise to infection.
Consult orthopedic surgeon and get him examined now.
After examination he will go the treatment accordingly.
Ok and bye.
Answered: Mon, 30 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor