Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Bruised swollen ankle after a fall. Need an x-ray? Broken bone?

I slipped on ice, landed on my bottom with my left foot under me. top of foot is scraped, bruised, ankle swollen and bruised, with a golf ball sized knot. I can walk on it but swells more while I am at work and on it from 8:00 to 1:00. I am taking Advil every 4 hours and using ice pack for 20 mins at a time, elevating most of the time except for work. Do you recommend an x-ray? Is it possible to have a broken bone and still be able to walk on it?
Asked On : Tue, 15 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  148
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Emergency Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Hi Carolynd,
Thanks for writing your query.

After reading your post, it seems that you are having soft tissue injury, but still there is no harm in getting an X-ray done to rule out any fracture.

Advil contains Ibuprofen which is antiinflammatory medicine and will help in reducing the swelling and pain.

Try to give rest to the injured part for speedy recovery.
You can apply crepe bandage locally to give support to the injured ankle.
Application of pain relieving gel will also be beneficial.

In hairline or vey minor fracture, it is possible that you are able to walk (though painful).
So get a X-Ray of your foot done and get yourself examined by an Orthopedician.

I hope this is helpful to you.
Answered: Wed, 16 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor