Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Bruised knee and swelling after an injury. Is it serious?

Hi I had a softball game Friday evening and I crashed into another player full on speed and we both hit our knees and shin, I still cant put any weight on my leg the side of my leg is bruised and above my knee is swollen. I been Icing it and it s gone down a bit I been using the RICE treatment I just want to know how can I figure out how serious is it? please advice...thanks
Asked On : Fri, 24 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  116
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
you need to see a sports medicine specialist . two possibilities are there
1. getting a quadriceps muscle tear it will need evaluation for the extent of tear . plan the rehab accordingly . though you have passed the phase of acute knee flexion strapping to reduce haematoma. if done acutely if you could have been diagnosed as muscle tear its a good way to get the athlete back on field faster .once a haematoma sets in then three weeks will be needed to get back to sports .
2. some more serious knee ligament or meniscus injury . the minute an orthopaedic surgeon with interest in sports medicine sees you he can diagnose the trouble and help you in progression, as to what to do further .
so get yourself evaluated
Answered: Sat, 25 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor