Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Bruised eye lid and face after a fall. No problem with the vision. Need to consult an eye doctor?

My 88 yr old mother fell and hit the right side of her eye. The lid and below the eye is badly bruised and swelled but ice was applied and the swelling has gone down. She is now bruised on the entire right side of the face. She has some tearing but no visible red in the eye itself. Can see okay. Should I be having her seen by an eye doctor.
Asked On : Thu, 27 Dec 2012
Answers:  4 Views:  128
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon 's  Response
Yes, you should consult an eye surgeon as well as a maxillofacial surgeon. Latent injuries can only be detected by an eye surgeon which are normally not apparent. Also, fractures around the orbit can lead to extensive bruising of the face and therefore this must be excluded after consulting a maxillofacial surgeon. Remember that in old age bones can be brittle and commonly fracture after trivial injuries that is why extra care is needed when managing these patients.
Answered: Thu, 27 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Emergency Medicine Specialist Dr. R.A. Singh's  Response
Hi Gasperbc,
Thanks for writing your query.

It is a good sign that the vision of your mother is normal.

Swelling and pain near the eye is common after face and head injury.
Swelling will decrease initially by application of ice. If the swelling persists, you can give her anti inflammatory medicines after getting her examined by your doctor. You can apply locally some antibiotic cream, on the bruises.

Swelling takes few days to subside completely.

If she complins of pain or the swelling increases or she has difficulty in vision, take her immediately to the Emergency Department.

You should also investigate for the reason of her fall.Get her investigated for following :-
1. Blood pressure
2. ECG
3. Blood sugar (Fasting and PP)
4. MRI head and neck

I hope this is helpful to you.

Answered: Thu, 27 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Ophthalmologist Dr. Anupama Desai's  Response

If her general condition is fine ( no convulsions/loss of consciousness/vomiting/fever/altered behaviour) then it is likely that she has developed a hematoma(bruise). It will take about a week to subside naturally. It may change color before it disappears- from purple to greenish.She can be taken to a physician if she developes any of the above mentioned symptoms and not otherwise.


Answered: Sat, 29 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Aruna. K's  Response
bruise in the eye doe to fall injuiry would be better if checked up by an eye specialist as ur mother is aged .. but this sort of bruise takes atleast one week to reduce with medicines like serrax -d tab twice daily for three days.. and so wait for 3 days with this tablet and then u can go to doc..
thank u..
Answered: Thu, 27 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor