Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Bruise after fall, applied ice, painful, difficulty walking. Could it be a hematoma?

2 months ago i took a fall off a countertop trying to reach something in our cupboard. I believe I sprained it, never went to doctor. Bruise bigger than the size of my hand . I iced it for 2 days, kept it elevater, inuprofen. It was really painful, i couldnt walk. Kept a compression sock on to help with the swelling . Now, 2 months later, its still bothering me. Its fine to walk on, just hurts occasionally. The bruise is still present with a lump the size of a quarter just above my ankle bone. I read it could be a hemotoma? Well, im wondering how long sprains take to recover, if i should go to get it looked at, and what i should do for this hemotoma? Sometimes when i wXlk, i can hear a click and feel it in my foot . The bruise is still really painful to the touch. What donu reccommend? I have a huge deductibe, $6000 and dont want to go the doctor if i dont have to.
Asked On : Fri, 1 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  170
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
Since there is a large bruise even after two months of the fall, it is likely to be due to a hematoma and it might need a surgical drainage to relieve you of the pain. An infection is also likely in the area. Please do consult your orthopedician for a physical examination.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Dr. Praveen Tayal
Answered: Sat, 2 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for posting your query.
The formation of lump and bruise after trauma suggests internal bleeding and hematoma formation which can heal by fibrosis (scarring) and feels numb and hard.
Ideally it should resolve gradually in 4_6 weeks without any intervention if uncomplicated.But if it involves any blood vessel or nerves or other soft tissue or if infected ( complications) then it needs to be evaluated by a doctor to check for adequate healing.
Pain relief can be achieved temporarily by analgesics, antiinflammatory drugs like ibuprofen, or diclofenac with serratiopeptidase (which hastens healing), as per prescription of treating physician.
But if lump persists more than 4_6 weeks, please consult your doctor or a general surgeon for confirmation of diagnosis and further management.
Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Answered: Sat, 2 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor