Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Broken,swollen ankle bone. Heavy pain. What shall be done?

I hit my ankle bone last night and now I can t walk on that foot . I can put pressure on it but there is a lot of pain when I move the foot. The area around (mostly above) my ankle bone is swollen and it hurts to touch it. I could feel pain running up my lower calf last night and now my muscles feel almost like there about to fall asleep but not there yet.
Asked On : Mon, 25 Feb 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  50
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello, thanks for using Health Care Magic.
The ankle is a very delicate region with potential severe complications following ankle trauma. Ankle trauma can result to various pathological entities ranging from sprains to complicated fractures that can bring disability.
The rapid evolution of your symptoms indicate that there its a serious issue needing immediate attention. It could be a trauma to an ankle ligament or even an ankle bone that is affected.
The most feared condition will be a fracture which dis-stabilizes the the ankle joint ( such as pathological variants of the bi-malleolar fractures) as it will require surgery for correction less you will develop a disability.
What is important to do now is to see a doctor for proper examination and at least for an x-ray to rule out fractures and or dis-stabilization of the ankle joint.
Best regards and wish you a speedy recovery.
Dr. Achuo
Answered: Mon, 25 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Welcome to the forum.
It might be soft tissue injury or fracture.
Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others. I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.
In the interim,apply ice packs to the affected area,anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid putting weight and rest well.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
You can consult me again directly through my profile
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Answered: Mon, 25 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Mamun Kabir's  Response
Welcome to healthcare magic.
There are some possibility of severe ankle pain.
There may be soft tissue injury or bone injury.
Give hot compression to the affected area.
Give rest of the affected joint.
You may take NSAID for pain relief.
If these measures fail to improve the condition then you may go for a x-ray of the affected joint.
Take care.
Answered: Mon, 25 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor