Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

Broken thumb, far apart from first finger, cannot hold things. Surgery required?

had a broken thumb since XXXXX in the service , my thumb was dislocated back to my wrist , now it far apart from my first finger , it hurts and cant hold things to much with my theft thumb . I ma disable Veteran never calm my broken thumb but its on record with the VA. to repair is see pins and rods to close to gap together . should i replair it or just leave it alone after all these years
Asked On : Fri, 4 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  9
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Based on your statement it looks like your thumb is dislocated. Three is no other possible treatment except surgery if you require the movement of your thumb back. They might go for open reduction and kwire fixation. It's a simple procedure. Prognosis depends on the other complication such as nearby bone fractures and the time since your injury. But a confirmed conclusion cannot be arrived without looking at the xray
Answered: Mon, 30 Jun 2014
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor