Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Broken shin bone ?

My son was sledding and his he collided with a small tree. His shin on his right leg took the brunt of the collison. There is a small bump on his shin bone and some localized swelling/bruising. He cannot stretch out/unbend his leg and he cannot put weight on it. However, there is no open wound, no bleeding, not a lot of swelling, and not a lot of bruising. Could he have broken his leg?
Asked On : Sun, 31 Jan 2010
Answers:  3 Views:  2208
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
  User's Response
Its very likely that he could have bent or fractured his leg and will require immediate treatment for the same. I hope you must have visited an Orthopaedician by now as its an emergency. Avoid weight bearing over that leg. Rest it high over a pillow to prevent excessive swelling and other complications.
Based on the displacement of his fracture, he would require a plaster cast for 6-8 weeks or surgery.
Answered: Wed, 18 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
Physical Therapist or Physiotherapist Geetha's  Response
you have to see a ortho doctor ASAP ,please see that you apply some splint to the injured bone and do not bear any weight until advised by doc
Answered: Tue, 17 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
  Anonymous's Response

not able to bear weight means it is a broken bone .broken shin bone needs a metal to be put inside the bone and left in place for as many as 2 years. orthopadics will do that

Answered: Sun, 31 Jan 2010
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor