Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Broken front tooth, painful pimples swollen and filled with puss. Had tooth repair. How can the tooth problem be solved?

Hi, my name is , i m 32 yrs old. i had a chipped/broken front tooth since i was a little girl.inside my nose on same side where the tooth is damaged, i would have a painfull pimple that would get swollen and filled up with pus , causing sensibility in that tooth. i recently had that tooth repaired thinking the problem would ceased but it didn t. Is this some thing major(should i freak out?) what can i do to resolve this problem? Please help, any information is appreciated. Thanks
Asked On : Sat, 28 Jul 2012
Answers:  6 Views:  91
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Dentist 's  Response
hello there,

According to your history i can suspect your broken tooth has undergone infection since the tooth was traumatised and broken tooth exposes the dentin to oral environment and food lodgement in the area leads to bacterial infection.

The infection in the tooth has gone worse due to its spread to the underlying tissues that has lead to formation of pimple like growth in the affected area or a pus pocket.

The symptoms of pain and swelling needs to be subsided by a course of antibiotic and analgesics before starting treatment.

The infected tooth can be treated by root canal procedure to devitalise it permanently and save the tooth or of the prognosis is poor the tooth can be extracted.

get an x ray done the affected area and approach a dentist for the treatment.

meantime you can start with antibiotic augmentin 625mg with analgesics two times daily, this helps in subsiding the swelling and pain.

i hope this helps,

take care.
Answered: Thu, 11 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Your clinical symptoms and history suggest that you had developed infection in your broken tooth the infection had spread to the periapical tissue leading to abscess formation, pimple on the gum can be sinus opening for the drainage of pus.

You need to visit to the Dentist, get clinical evaluation done, take an x-ray of the tooth,
drainage of the abscesses required and root canal treatment of the tooth.
Followed by the treatment placement of prosthetic crown on the tooth is required.

Take complete course of antibiotics and analgesic, maintain a good oral hygiene, use chlorhexidine mouthwash gargles twice daily.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Wed, 10 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Hello ,
Thanks for writing in.
The painful pus filled pimple under the broken front tooth is the periapical abscess developed due to fracture.
Root canal treatment has to be done. in such cases and pus has to be drained.
Entire infected pulp has to be removed.
Take complete course of antibiotics.
The swelling will subside once the pus drains out.
If necessary,apicoectomy has to be done.
Take care.
Answered: Wed, 10 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Neha Sumra's  Response
Welcome to HCM

I would like to tell you that your tooth has got infected due to trauma.There is abscess formation & pimple you are talking about is inflammation which might have lead to sinus formation & pus drainage.

You need to go for IOPAR done of same tooth & get it treated accordingly.You can go for Root Canal Treatment if clinical condition of this tooth is sound.

Its better to start with a course of analgesic & antibiotic before proceeding for treatment.

Get your treatment started as early as possible.

Take Care

Answered: Thu, 11 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Winnie Venkatesh's  Response
Hi.Lookin into ur symptoms ...yes it is a chronic means long term infected tooth due to the trauma the tooth had long back.and the "pimple"which appears is an "ABSCESS"actually .abscess means flld wth pus.actually the tooth s root is nearer to tht nasal area where the abscess appears.u didnt mention what trtmnt u did for the tooth.ACTUALLLLY U NEED TO DO A ROOT CANAL TRTMNT WHRE UR INFECTED PULP WL B REMOVED ND SEALED ND U WILL NEED A CROWN OR CAP OVR IT.
Answered: Mon, 30 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
Dear friend.

Thanks fr sharing your concern.

your history suggests that you have developed an abscess due to infection draining into the periapical area.the resulting pimple you noticed is due to that infection.

now i would suggest you to visit your dentist and get a x ray examination done.

further, antibiotic and analgesic course has to be stated and, under its coverage,this abscess should be drained through root canal.

later on,your tooth can be very well saved by RC treament procedure.

Hope it helps.

take care.

Answered: Wed, 10 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor