Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Broken black colored filling of molars. Can I get it refilled with a white material ?

hello doctor, sorry for this lame question but i had the filling of my molars when i was 10 years old. The filling was a black colored filling. I m quite uneasy with that and so i want to know that is there any kind of strong white filling( i also had my incisors filled with a white filling after they broke in an accident but the filling break off).
Asked On : Fri, 5 Apr 2013
Answers:  5 Views:  57
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

Black filling that you are taking about could be traditional silver amalgam filling.

today in advance dentistry there are many more newer materials added,which can fulfill all requirements of a good filling, both in strength and esthetics.

I would suggest you to visit your dentist and get an appropriate filling done for your tooth.

I am sure both esthetics,and strengh will be well taken into consideration.

hope it helps.
take care
Answered: Sat, 6 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Hello and welcome to hcm,

There are white coloured filling materials.
Since your black coloured restoration is fractured ,it has to be removed completely.
Infected pulp and dentin has to be extirpated.
Depending on the depth of cavity,restorative material can be selected.
avoid biting on hard,solid foods using your restored tooth.
your front teeth also can be filled with tooth coloured material.
Please do visit a dentist regarding this.
Answered: Fri, 5 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

As you said you had a filling in the molar 10 years back , which is black in colour might be a silver amalgam restoration, if you are uneasy with it and want a tooth coloured restoration you can go for a composite restoration.

Broken filling with incisors need to be replaced,
Visit to your Dentist and get the checkup done, and if necessary take the x-rays.

Maintain a good oral hygiene, use antiseptic mouthwash gargles twice daily.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Fri, 5 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Sonia Nayab's  Response
hi dhruvsigha...

thanks for asking your query
tooth is filled by silver filling (amalgam) and a white one too (composite resin)
yes you can go for tooth coloured filling which is composite resin,and its an esthetcially pleasing one
silver one is more stronger than white one but some patients dont prefer it for esthethic concerns.

and if your fillings in incisors breaks off quite soon than i will prefer you to go for capping of you tooth.
Answered: Fri, 5 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Hello and Welcome to HCM,
Thanks for writing to us.
Visit the dentist and get your broken black coloured filling material removed.
yes, you can go for composite filling.
you can talk to your dentist and fill your molars and incisors.
Hope this will helps you.
Wishing you good health...
Answered: Sat, 6 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor