Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Broken ankle, body weight on ankle while walking, should I walk using crutches ?

I broke my ankle almost 6 weeks ago. I have been weight bearing for 4 weeks with crutches/in cast. I feel able to walk on my ankle without the crutches now, but will this make healing slower? I m supposed to be out of cast in a week, should I use my crutches until then?
Asked On : Thu, 15 Mar 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  101
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response

Thanks for writing to us.

Putting a weight on the foot with a fractured bone might displace the fractured fragments which can result in a malunion or a delayed union.

You can get a check X-ray done to know the alignment of the fracture site. In case there is no displacement then you can partially bear the weight on your foot.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.


Dr. Praveen Tayal
Answered: Thu, 15 Mar 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor