Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Broke ribs and had compression fractures, bruising. What can help?

I was hit by a truck, as a pedestrian and broke three ribs and got a compression fracture of a vertebrae and ruptured discs. I also was thrown 15 feet and landed on my right side. I had severe bruising on my right thigh and horrific pain. I was in the hospital 3 days and took a plane back to my home. I was treated for increasing back pain and after 18 months ended up in the ER with massive pulmonary embolisms in both lungs with no pain in my legs or any evidence of clots anywhere else. My question is, would it be possible to have a blood clot from the accident and not have it move to my lungs until 18 months later?
Asked On : Thu, 23 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  28
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response

Thanks for writing to us,

I have studied your case with diligence.

There can be clot formation due to long time bed ridden position.
This clot is formed in peripheral vein.
This clot may dislodge any time after that and can lead to pulmonary embolism.

Chest physiotherapy will help in early recovery.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. If you find this answer helpful do not forget to give rating at end of discussion.

Wishing you good health.

Take care
Dr Vaibhav
Answered: Fri, 18 Apr 2014
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor