Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Breathing discomfort on trying to fall asleep, tingly and cool feeling radiating from chest to stomach on sleeping sideways. Have quit smoking. What is the cause?

I am 25 years old, 5 8 , 175 lbs and very active. I weight train 3-4 times a week and do cardio in between, although not often as I suffered an MCL tear a few years ago and my knee is still quite the same. I do what I can. I have not smoked cigarettes (was smoking half a pack a day for 6-7 years; at one point I was up to a pack a day for a year) for about two months now. I eat a healthy diet throughout the week and eat 6-7 times a day in small quantities (usually pick Saturday or Sunday to splurge and pig-out for one meal). Well, there is my background. When I start to fall asleep at night, mostly the transition from being awake to falling asleep, I feel like I stop breathing and often twitch awake gasping for air. When I try to fall asleep, it is almost as if I have to tell myself to inhale and exhale- however, it feels like I am not getting any oxygen whatsoever. NOTE: this is only when I lay on my back. However, when I roll over to my side or stomach , a weird tingly and cool sensation radiates from my chest outward, into my stomach, limbs, etc. I often have to coach myself to fall asleep now. I know some of these feelings could result from the whole quitting smoking thing, but I am just generally worried. I do not have health insurance, so going to the doctor is not an option at this point.
Sat, 7 Jul 2012
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Pulmonologist 's  Response
thanks for the query
u r obese
u r suffering from sleep disturbances
u need to answer 2 following ques inspite of ur good detailed history....
1. are u snoring during sleeping???
2. are u feeling sleepy during day time???
i think u should have a polysomnography or sleep study probably u r suffering from OSA (obstructive sleep apnea)
so do consult a pulmonologist or specialist in sleep medicine and go for a sleep study
i think u ll get ur answer by then
take care
thank u
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor