Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Breast Discharge only from left side. Is this normal ?

I m a 33y/o white female with one child. I have always done self-breast exams & I always get a clear nipple discharge from my left breast. First question: Is this normal and why doesn t my right breast have discharge? Second question: The discharge from the left breast is usually clear but sometimes will turn clear yellow to clear amber? Thanks in advance for any input.
Asked On : Thu, 15 Sep 2011
Answers:  6 Views:  536
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Welcome to Healthcaremagic
Thanks for your query
A clear discharge need not be a cause of worry. It most commonly occurs because of abberations of the development or fibrocystic disease of breast which is a benign condition with no potential for malignancy. It can be from one breast only. All you have to do is to go to a surgeon and get clinically examined and at the most, a sonography of breast to relieve your anxiety.
Answered: Thu, 15 Sep 2011
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases Dr. Hema Yadav's  Response
Hi melanie
Welcome to Healthcare magic.
If the discharge from your left breast is after childbirth it could be due to an patent milk duct which may be seen to discharge occasionally during hormonal changes.In such case it is not necessarily your right breast may not show it.
But there are many other causes of discharge like nipple eczema, infection , gland hypertrophy etc which need to be ruled out especially since the discharge is not always clear.
Kindly consult your gynaecologist for thorough examination and diagnosis.
Thank you
Answered: Thu, 15 Sep 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta's  Response
Hello.welcome.It is unusual for discharge from single nipple.Get your discharge checked for pus cells and microscopic examination.Get mammogram and serum prolactin also done.Consult a surgeon.Good luck.
Answered: Thu, 15 Sep 2011
I find this answer helpful
General Surgeon Dr. PSB's  Response
Please furnish the following details:
- Duration?
- Does it come from a single specific point or multiple points round the nipple?
- What's the age of your child?
- Have you been taking any medicine for some time for any other problem (e.g. hypertension or anything else); if so, how long?
- Do you have any swelling in the breast?

Answered: Fri, 16 Sep 2011
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Suryakanta Baraha's  Response
hi Melanie,
its better to go for mammography..if you palpate any mass then FNAC should be done
Answered: Sat, 17 Sep 2011
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Suryakanta Baraha's  Response

Welcome to Healthcaremagic

Thanks for your query

for your age it may be any benign condition like fibrocystic disease or duct ectasia or abscess

it may be intraductal papilloma. is the discharge from single duct or multiple ducts?

IT CAN BE nipple eczema also. BUT FOR SAFETY purpose you can go for mammography which will clear the doubt. for that you have to consult your surgeon

take care

Answered: Thu, 15 Sep 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor